The Salad You Need Right Now

December 19, 2013 · 10 comments

I don’t know about you, but I could use a salad right about now. A nice fresh, crisp salad that is cold and lacking in my main diet staples these last few weeks – butter and booze. I like to call this the season of too many and too much. Too many parties and celebrations, too much food and drink. Pair all that with too little rest and you have a recipe for exhaustion and possibly gout.

Last week I photographed ruby-toned pomegranates for a client. I worked diligently, prying apart the sections and watching the plump seeds fall into a bowl one and two at a time. My hands and cutting board were stained with the sweet crimson stuff, but I didn’t mind. I was in a groove. I was working alone in my kitchen, my only companion a stream of tunes from a carefully cultivated Pandora station (it was Gotye that day, I think). I stopped for a moment to breathe it in – happiness, belonging, joy. I was exactly where I needed to be, doing what I like to do. Nice.

And then one half rolled right onto the floor spraying seeds everywhere. Pom down. Fun done. It looked like a fruit murder scene. A smattering of smashed red seeds sprawled out in an incriminating pattern. Their juice puddled around the site. Is there a bigger buzz kill than a messy kitchen clean up? Since I was already snapped out of my zone, I took a break for lunch. This is what I ate.

You can probably guess how to make this citrus pomegranate salad just by looking at the picture, but I wrote up a recipe anyway figuring you’d want to know how I dressed it. Enjoy!

Just in case you are as crazy about music as I am, I put together a list of best tracks for 2013 on Spotify (find me: aliciasokol, then find my playlist “Best Tracks of 2013″). These are the songs that have inspired me as I’ve taught classes at barre3, snapped away produce photos in my kitchen or skulked about coffee shops as a wanna-be hipster. Most of these songs were released in 2013, but a few were just discovered by me this year and are in fact not that new.

I’m signing off for 2013. It’s been real, loveys. Thanks for following along and I can’t wait to see what fun is in store for 2014! I wish you happiness, health, laughter and love.

XOXO.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Marlene December 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

gorgeous salad! I can identify with your experiences (too much deja vu, sometimes!) and reading your postings usually gives me a chuckle or two in commiseration. I’m not usually a salad person in the winter, but this looks so dang good I can practically taste it from your photo! I have all the ingredients (that’s a feat in itself) since a good friend gave me pomegranates from her tree (I live in CA), and some oranges and avocados. Thank you for the continued inspiration, and I wish you a happy and healthy new year!

Alicia December 19, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Enjoy, Marlene! I ate this salad with a warm bowl of lentil soup, which is a staple here in the winter. They went perfectly together. Happy, healthy new year to you, too!

mary December 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Ugh. How can I find you on spotify. It looks like I can only search my friends on facebook. Am I missing something. This (not being able to navigate social media) is making me feel old.

Alicia December 19, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I’m sorry! How annoying. I had to go to the Spotify help section to figure this out. Here is what it says to do:

In the search box up top enter: spotify:user:aliciasokol

That should pull up my profile and then you hit the green “follow” button. From there, you can find my Best Tracks of 2013 playlist and look at other playlists in my account, I think.

How would anyone know to do that?! Not a very well-designed system, Spotify. Even the 20-somethings are having trouble!

meg December 19, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I had trouble with Spotify too! – And Mary, I’m in my 20s, so don’t feel badly :)

Alicia December 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm

See my comment above. They need to make this a bit easier!

Lynda December 19, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I can always use a salad-right-now. This looks so fresh and delicious. Crave.

Alicia December 20, 2013 at 5:24 pm

And now I want some of your Christmas semifreddo…but a salad first! :-) Merry Christmas, Lynda.

Sarah Pendleton January 16, 2014 at 1:22 am

I just have to tell you how much I love this website and your weekly blog. My sister, Julie Creed, turned me on your site and I just love it and all that you put into it. I’ve shared it with friends and come here weekly for new ideas. I am a mom of three children (1 with food allergies) and get so tired of making the same old, same old. Thanks for all the yummy ideas!!

Alicia January 16, 2014 at 2:09 am

Sarah, what a joy to hear from you! I met you years and years ago when I worked with Julie in Chicago. Maybe in 1999 timeframe? Yikes. I’m dating us all. I’ve enjoyed seeing pictures of your kids on Julie’s Facebook page (can she be my aunt, please?!). Your comment made my day. I love nothing more than knowing that my readers are picking up new ideas and feeding their families well. Happy new year to you! Send my love to Julie…XO.